The Tsongas (D-MA) Amendment to strip anti-ESA riders from the Interior/EPA approps bill will be voted upon in the House today (July 8, 2015) at 1:30pm ET. One of these anti-ESA riders would strip ESA protections for wolves in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and Wyoming. There is still time to call or tweet your representatives and encourage them to support the Tsongas ESA amendment.
Find U.S. Representatives contact information, here. Or call the switchboard (202) 456-1414.
Tweet to your House members using the hashtag #GreenUpCongress in solidarity with the broader conservation community. Here is a handy list of each Congressional office’s twitter handle.
And send some thanks to Rep. Tongas (D-MA) and Rep. Beyers (D-VA) for standing up for wolves and the ESA! Here are some sample tweets:
- Thank you @nikiinthehouse for speaking out against attacks on endangered species! #standforwolves #GreenUpCongress
- Thank you @RepDonBeyer for speaking out against attacks on endangered species, including wolves! #standforwolves #GreenUpCongress
The Newhouse (R-WA) Wolf Amendment to block ESA protections for wolves in Oregon, Washington, and Utah is not expected to come up for a vote until tomorrow (Thursday, July, 9, 2015) in the afternoon.
Thank you to Earthjustice for providing us with this important information!
Here are some additional tweets provided by Earthjustice:
- 9 in 10 Americans support the Endangered Species Act. So why are some in Congress trying to weaken it? #GreenUpCongress #standforwolves
- 90% of voters support the ESA, but some in Congress are still trying to pick it apart. Speak out! #standforwolves http://dfnd.us/1gbLe5J
- Poll shows voters want scientists, not politicians, to make ESA decisions. Hasn’t stopped Congress from trying. #standforwolves http://dfnd.us/1gbLe5J
- Voters know we don’t have to choose between jobs & #wildlife. Tell Congress to protect the ESA http://dfnd.us/1gbLe5J #GreenUpCongress #standforwolves